Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A new Goal

Chemo, as you can imagine sucks. I was tired, nauseated and sore. Food lost its taste, I remember eating strawberries and I couldn’t even tell that they were sweet. But with each chemo treatment you know you are getting closer to the end and that it is more than worth it. I continued to work through chemo as much as was possible, luckily I had an amazing boss who was understanding and so good to work with me. My husband always came with me to my treatments. We would play Connect Four or Dao, which was of course my idea, who knows why; Maybe because I enjoy loosing ;/ I certainly didn’t have the brain power to win very often. I loved that he was always there with me. A person couldn’t ask for a more amazing partner. Chris and I literally fit together like puzzle pieces. He is the yin to my yang. I could ramble on with all of the clichĂ© metaphors to describe our relationship but the bottom line is we have the kind of love that most people only dream of and what is better than that is we both know how lucky we are to have each other. As we sat through one of my treatments I looked at him and said, “I am going to be a nurse.”  I had thought about being a nurse before, I had been a Nurse assistant (that is actually how my husband and I met, my husband is a nurse) and it is a natural progression to become a nurse, but I never felt like I was science smart. I never thought I could manage that kind of school. Most of my life has been spent on the right side of my brain. My first degree is in fashion. I always thought of myself as an artist. But suddenly it was like a complete shift in my mind. All of the fear I had about getting through school to become a nurse, disappeared. It wasn’t a thought of, ‘Maybe I will be a nurse’ it was, ‘I am going to be a nurse.’ This gave me a new sense of life after cancer. I was going to be a nurse.

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog and cry. You are an amazing woman and I love that you're being so kick-ass about this! Don't take any shit from this Cancer stuff! You've been weighing heavy on my heart and I'll continue to pray for you and your family. Tell Chris we love you guys and give that cute girl a hug! Miss you guys and hopefully we'll be able to swing by when we come up this summer... otherwise, you're all welcome to come thaw out in 'Vegas anytime!

    ReplyDelete