Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rambling


It seems a little weird to me that I haven’t blogged since we found the lesion on my Brain. What, what you say. Well for those of you who don’t know we found a lesion lying on the Dura Matter of my brain in late July. With the exception of a couple spots on my liver that have since resolved, we had considered my disease as bone only; as bad as bone mets  are, people can live for years with bone only disease. So what does this mean now? I wish I knew. It sucks when your new Radiation Oncologist says, “I have seen a lot of bum deals, but this is the worst bum deal I’ve seen in a while.” He is referring to the fact that I am only 30 and have a young family, not that I necessarily have it worse off than his other patients. He is actually really great Doctor. I have nothing against my first radiation oncologist but I never bonded with her and I didn’t feel like she really considered the questions my husband and I had. Anyway the way the lesion is spread over the left side of my Dura matter of my brain as opposed to a focused tumor in one or two spots. This means surgery is not currently an option. Neither is focused radiation, (which means they focus on just the tumor with the radiation stream) Instead, I get to do three weeks of full brain radiation. I have finished one week. This is a onetime deal. We don’t get to go back and do full brain radiation again because it is too dangerous. I maybe have one week left of my hair, (which I bleached last night and plan on one more pink hoorah today). I can tell my head already feels burned. My tongue actually feels scalded. My taste buds are off (sweet doesn’t taste right) but they have me on steroids to relieve any swelling so I still want to eat all the time. The steroids have made my face round which will look even rounder when I am bald. My face is actually puffy enough that my glasses are too tight but I am scatter brained so I keep forgetting to have them adjusted when I am at Costco. I may or may not get increasingly more absent minded. I have already noticed that typing is much harder, like I was good at it before. But the most common significant side effect is fatigue. I had been feeling tired to begin with and I have noticed a little increase but so far the steroids seem to be giving me enough energy to get by. Oh actually, the funniest side effect (if you want to call it that) is the fact that during radiation that hit some of my cranial nerves, (it doesn’t hurt) but while it is happening I smell Jack-o-Lantern. Like the way it smell after the candle has been in it for a little while. This is OK. I don’t mind it. I love Halloween so I guess it is appropriate. But even with these side effects I think I am managing very well so far.

I also need to use this platform to thank my sister In-Law Brenda. She has been and is amazing. She coordinated to have dinner brought in the whole time I am on Radiation. It is hard for us to accept this kind of help; it feels sometimes like I don’t need it yet. Maybe I don’t want to need it yet. But the truth is it has been an incredible help. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you that have brought and are still bringing dinners. Also thank you Darcy, you have always taken care of me but the amount of help you give my little family is incredible; always watching my daughter, checking in on me, just hanging out with me.  And thank you beyond words for all of the work you have done and are doing to throw a benefit for me. Your kindness is overwhelming. The love people have is beautiful. It makes me feel like I must have done a few things right in my life to have so much love surrounding me. These thank you’s are of course not limited to the two of you, Thanks to everyone helping out, watch Makena, those checking in. Even those of you that I know are just waiting in the wings for me to ask for help. I love all of you so much. Even the love sent from my little monster family who I only know through online interactions build me up on a daily basis. All this love carries me through and keeps me wanting to fight, fight, fight.

So how do I feel about all this? It depends on the moment I guess. I have been through a huge array of emotions; crying to start, yelling a little, cuddling with my husband, fear of course, worry, upset stomach, ignoring it, thoughts racing, angry, and yes even peace. One of the biggest things that pissed me off is I am designing for two different charity fashion show, and coordinating a large Charity event for a domestic violence shelter and I am terrified I won’t be able to produce. Crazy huh? It is funny how much of the mental fight involves me forgiving myself for not being ‘the perfect cancer patient.’ Everyone involved with these events have been amazing, understanding and supportive. It’s not like I am going it alone. Any way I made huge progress last night. My husband worked a grave yard shift, and Makena went to Grandma and Grandpa’s for the night and a sewed till mid-night. It was the first time I realized that I am really going to pull this off.

Well I have rambled for quite a while now (another side effect of steroids) so I will sign off for now. And as always I will write when I feel so inspired. These blogs aren’t worth anything to me or you if I force myself to write on any sort of a dedicate schedule. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
My chubby self around 9 or 10 months

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to hear this Megan. So frustrating!!! I know you are doing as well as possible under the circumstances, and I love that you are carrying on with the fashion shows. But still, I wish I could take away the pain, the fear, the frustration, the anger, and most of all the 'c' (I hate writing out the word - it doesn't deserve being written in full!!!!)

    Sending you love & hugs,

    Karin (from Vancouver)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it, too! This is my "baby" and I can't do a darn thing about what she has to go through! All I can do is love her and pray, which I do a lot of (both)!
    I'm sorry to hear of the side effects you are already feeling with the radiation, Sweetie.
    I want to thank all those wonderful people who care so much about Megan and are doing so many things to help her right now. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I met you at the Nelson Hope Fashion Show. Your story was inspiring and your designs were beautiful. Your husband and daughter were also lovely to see there supporting you. I look forward to reading back through your blog. I need to update mine as well. I'll be sending thoughts and prayers your way. Lily Webb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,

    I came across your video today and shared in on Facebook. I will share it on my blog, too. I hope you get the chance to design that dress for Lady Gaga!

    You are an inspiration.

    Love, hugs and prayers to you and your family.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    My name is Mary and I am a breast cancer survivor and also a ‘Pirate’ with the “Pirates of the Cure-a-Being” in Denver, CO and I started the Breast Cancer Community at vorts.com.
    We would love for you to share your wonderful blog with our members, they will appreciate it!
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website… it’s a win win. You can also add Photos, Videos and Articles if you like. It’s free and easy.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    The Breast Cancer Community: http://www.vorts.com/breast_cancer/
    Thanks,
    Mary, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Megan! I have been following your story since it was published on KSL about your dream to design a Gaga Gown! I personally think you would do fabulous! You are a remarkable lady, one I would love to know personal level! Please know strangers (like me) are praying for you and sending good vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megan. I was diagnosed in July with breast cancer. I had a bilateral mastectomy at that time. I am headed for my 3rd chemo treatment this week. My hair is gone - wish I would have tried some purple in it before it fell out! People don't realize how quickly things change with this evil thing called cancer. My prayers are with you - for your dream, your husband, your daughter and for a miracle. I found your story on ksl and it's amazing - an inspiration to the rest of us who are fighting. Best of luck - hopes of karma flowing down on you.
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan,

    I think about you often. I hope you are okay.

    Hugs,
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. I also have a blog about stage 4 breast cancer. Mine has gone to my lungs . First round at 25 left breast. Next round was about 3.years ago right breast, then to sternum, then to lungs. Starting trial treatment at the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale Az. I live in Salem Oregon. Eep up the good fight and Bless you or sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful blog post.
    ______________________________________________________
    wallpapers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am Mariam used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes...i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Priests Irumole); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps
    for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn't mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I'm sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him as spirituallighthealing101@live.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,it's all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
    more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease.  and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on  whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete